Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Song of Ice and Fire

So back in April when I moved to Utah I kept hearing about this book series called A Song of Ice and Fire. It seemed HBO had acquired the rights to make it into a show and that this was a huge deal as the books are really long. I had never heard about this series or knew anything about it up till this point, but the more I looked into them the bigger I found out the following was for it. After talking to a few people I decided to give it a try.


Wow, just wow. The first book A Game of Thrones, also the name the show is going under, was amazing. It is really long yet you never get tired of it and you just want to keep reading. The author did such an amazing job of presenting all the characters in a way that there is no clear cut good and bad. You can see why each character is doing what they do.


The second book, A Clash of Kings, doesn't feel like another book or a sequel but the next chapter. They flow together so well and you continue to see character growth. There is so much going on that you often times have to refer to the appendix to remember who everyone is though and how they fit in. This isn't bad though as it doesn't distract from the story, or at least not for me.


And HBO hit a homerun with the series. All the crucial points were hit in it. I was afraid something would get lost in translation but so far so good. Of course you do lose the motives and thoughts in characters heads so some characters appear more evil, but that is to be expected. I can't wait for season 2.


Over all if you are looking for a book to read or a new show to get into I can't recommend this enough. Sure it wont be for everyone. It is a medieval/fantasy story but very well done. The author has made a series that is gripping and immersive. I don't think you will be disappointed, I know I'm not. I can't wait to go pick up the third book and start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment