Sunday, April 15, 2012

Things That Have Shaped My Life, Part 2: Les Miserables

Music can stir the soul in a way few other things can. When a piece of music stirs you it stays with you always. The beauty of music is that the same song can have different meanings for all those that hear it. No two people will interput the song the same way. I credit my Mother for my love of music and musical theater. She was always pushing me to expand my horizons.

My first exposure to Les Miserable was not the musical however, instead it was a two part TV miniseries. My mom was instant that I watch it and I remember sitting down as a family to watch it. I was floored by the story. It's a redemption story like no other. I believe I was about 16 when I saw it. From that moment I knew that I would never look at things the same way again.

It would be after my Mom passed away that I would discover the musical. I would find the 10th anniversary CD at Fred Myers. Over the next couple of weeks I would just continue listening to the CD over and over.

Valjean would teach me that no matter what you have in your past you can overcome it. That every act of kindness helps build us into a better person. That we need to take care of others also. The things we are given to us are a gift, and that we need to use those gifts to better the lives of others.

Javert would teach me that you can not let hatred blind you to the world around you. That becoming so focused on one thing can lead you to ruining your life and the lives of those you come in contact with.

Thenardier would come to embody what happens when you aren't honest with your fellow men. That you reap what you sow.

This musical is something that I still listen to even today. The feeling one gets when listening to the wonderful songs is one of awe. The spirit of the music moves you from tears to laughter, to hope, to fear, and to overwhelming joy. I love this story, I love the music, and I love my Mom caring enough to force a teenage boy to watch that movie.\

No comments:

Post a Comment