Friday, April 20, 2012

Things I Have Shaped My Life, Part 3: Attitude

Attitude is an amazing thing. Based on the attitude one has determines how ones day will go. Little things can change it too, things that seem so small can have profound impacts on it. It is something that most people take for granted too. Something that is paid attention to in others but often overlooked in their selves. It is the one thing that people truly have control over but instead let others guide in the course of their day.

It may not come as a surprise to some of you but I used to really hate my self. I had allowed my attitude to become so bad that sarcasm and snideness spewed forth out of my mouth almost constantly. I could see nothing good in the world, and figured if I was going to be miserable all the time then those around me should be too. This didn't win me many new friends and put great strain on the friendships I had at the time. There are plenty of things I could blame for my attitude at the time, and I did.

After all I was sick and on chemo, my Mom had passed, and life in general wasn't going like I thought it should. Instead of reaching out and letting people help me I pushed away every hand that was reached out to me. I was going to live life on my terms. It's amazing, looking back now I realize my terms lead to even more problems. In the end they just made me more miserable.

I allowed my already  bad attitude to drag me down. If it wasn't for the friends who stayed by me through everything I might still be on the path of self loathing that had influenced me to chose that course of action. But it was because of these friends that the little things I needed to realize became clear to me.

I am worth it. So simple of a phrase. If others are willing to spend time with you, ask how you are, and make sure things are going okay, if they think you are worth it then who are you to say your not? People wont put the time or effort into something they don't see potential in. Everyone wants to be lifted up, made to feel better. Because people want to be lifted up they will find things that they think will do that for them. It isn't enough though for others to think you're worth it; you have to believe you are worth it. Just that little step can make a huge change in attitude. When you believe you are worth it you don't let things get to you as much. Sure there is still a challenge but you can over come it because you are worth it and whatever the challenge, well after it you'll still be worth it.

I've also learned that the way you dress and carry your self is an outward expression of your attitude. People can tell by looking at you what kind of experience interacting with you will lead to. But the more important thing is how it makes you feel. Dressing in clothes that are full of holes or look like you  slept in them just doesn't make you feel good. When you don't feel good about your self it leads to not having a very good attitude.

Of course others that cross the path of ones life have impacts on attitude too. You can't control how others will act others will treat you. The one thing that can be controlled though is how one acts with how others treat them. Just because others are having bad days or take things out on someone doesn't mean that it has to ruin the day. Instead of letting it bring you down look for ways to bring them up. Who knows, that little bit of niceness just might be what they need in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment